“Eligibility” is not a term we need to use this year
Welcome to the Notre Dame Fighting Irish offseason. Ever since the Irish lost to Alabama in the Rose Bowl game, there has been a whirlwind of transfer announcements and NFL Draft announcements. While this is not unexpected, the timing has barely allowed anyone to catch their breath after such a disappointing end to the season.
People have been asking me about a chart of “who’s left” because it really does feel like Notre Dame is running out of players — which is 100% wrong.
Remember — the Irish have a HUGE recruiting class coming in for 2021, and with the new NCAA rules for the extra year of eligibility and (basically) free agency… the roster is going to get turned upside down a bit. That’s not just a Notre Dame problem, as the transfer portal is LOADED right now. In fact, I would bet the Irish add at least 2 more transfers to the 2021 roster before it’s all said and done.
To the chart…
I was going to do something entirely different, but nothing really made sense. So a few notes about this scholarship chart:
- These are academic years.
- Players from Sophomore to Senior years have an extra year of eligibility.
- A double asterisk means a player on the roster that would normally be out of eligibility.
- A single asterisk for juniors and seniors just means that they have redshirted before 2020.
- Nick McCloud is a projection at this moment.
- 85 is not the rule, and in fact, we have no idea if there IS a number this year.
I will keep updating with any new roster change.