Because it might get even crazier soon enough
The Notre Dame Fighting Irish have had 13 players enter the transfer portal since August. Without looking at past numbers… that’s likely a record by quite a bit. Obviously the COVID-19 pandemic has played a large role with what’s happening at Notre Dame — as wellas around the country. The transfer portal itself has seen a record number of players come calling with the NCAA giving a free year of eligibility to 2020 players, as well as the impending rule change that will allow players to transfer one-time without the penalty of a year’s wait.
So, yeah, it might get a little chaotic.
The Irish were able, however, to pull one back out of the portal. Houston Griffith changed his mind about leaving Notre Dame after speaking with the Notre Dame coaches about his future. It was a big win for Notre Dame as they look to solidify the spot next to Kyle Hamilton in the secondary.
Most of the other 12 have already found a new home, and I like to keep track of all of that — like I suppose most of you do as well. We still have an entire spring to get through, which usually means more transfers by May, but we’ll save that speculation for at least another month.
This is the running list that goes back to August, and will be updated as needed through May.
- John Olmstead — Lafayette (Patriot League)
- Isaiah Robertson — NONE
- Jordan Genmark Heath — UCLA Bruins
- Ja’Mion Franklin — Duke Blue Devils
- Kofi Wardlow — Charlotte 49ers
- Jahmir Smith — Appalachian St. Mountaineers
- Colin Grunhard — Kansas Jayhawks
- Jafar Armstrong — Illionois Fighting Illini
- Isaiah Rutherford — Arizona Wildcats
- Houston Griffith — Notre Dame
- Jack Lamb — Colorado Buffaloes
- Ovie Oghoufo — Texas Longhorns
- Micah Jones —NONE